Wrist tattoos are rather popular and quite meaningful, that is why we want to discuss them today. What is their origin?
The tradition of wearing a tattoo on a wrist appeared a while ago. Seamen started to apply nautical stars on their wrists. They believed these tattoos to be their guides in the open sea, protectors of their long, dangerous, and exhausting journeys. Later, in the middle of the 20th century, the members of gay and lesbian communities chose wrists as places for their tattoos.
Over time, tattoos on wrists stopped being indicators of someone’s identity. And today anyone can wear a tattoo on a wrist.
Would you like to get such a tattoo? Discover some inspiring tattoo ideas here.*We may earn money from affiliate links on this page. Please check out our disclosure policy for more details.
- Wrist Tattoo Meaning
- Types of Wrist Tattoos
- Wrist Tattoo Pain Level
- Average Cost of Wrist Tattoo
- Wrist Tattoo Aftercare
- Beautiful Floral Wrist Tattoos
- Bracelet Wrist Tattoo Designs
- Side Wrist Tattoo Ideas
- Wrist Tattoo Ideas For Couple Or Friends
- Wrist Tattoos With Lettering
- Small Wrist Tattoos With Meaning
- Watercolor Wrist Tattoo Ideas
- FAQ: Wrist Tattoos
Wrist Tattoo Meaning
You can assign your tattoo with personal meaning, but the placement bears its own connotation. It is best if you find the meaning appealing before you decide to commit.
- Connection – there are countless ways of interacting with other people with your wrist involved.
- Health – your wrist is the first place to check for a pulse, and the pulse can tell a lot about what is going on inside you.
- Spiritual adventure – while the wrist area is particularly vulnerable, it is also incredibly accessible. That is why if there is something you would like to remind yourself of on a daily basis, there is no better placement to think of.
- Strength and vulnerability – Unfortunately, your wrist is one of the most chosen spots when it comes to suicide. Thus, it is about exposure. At the same time, it takes strength to keep on no matter the life situation.
- Honesty – when you get a wrist tattoo, you practically wear your heart on the sleeve. Thus, you remain open to others and to yourself at all times.
- Good fortune – if you are familiar with Lao culture, you may know that the Baci ceremony is carried to celebrate all the most crucial events in your life. Symbolic threads are tied around the wrist to bring luck into people’s lives. You can’t take off the thread until they fall off on their own.
Types of Wrist Tattoos
It may seem that your wrist is quite a small area to have various types of tattoos placed there. However, the variety of options to consider will pleasantly surprise you!
- Inner wrist – starts at the palm.
- Outer wrist – the top side of your arm, particularly the spacing between the ulna and radius bones.
- Bracelet – think of wearing an actual bracelet to get the idea.
- Side wrist – either side of the arm. Particularly small area perfect for minimalistic tattoos.
- Half-glove – imagine the glove with no upper part. Such a tattoo usually starts at the wrist and goes up to the knuckles.
- Glove – a tattoo that takes up all the hand up to the wrist, fingers including.
- Forearm – since the wrist is actually a small area, most people consider anything that goes up to the elbow is still a wrist tattoo. Just in case you wonder.
Wrist Tattoo Pain Level
Let’s face it – no tattoo is licked on by unicorns, and it will hurt. However, your personal pain tolerance is the only thing to predefine how painful it is going to be. If you want to hear a quite subjective opinion, it is safe to say that a wrist tattoo is less painful than a nipple one. On the other hand, it may hurt more than other, more fleshy areas. Most people claim that you can place the pain scale somewhere in-between 5-10. Yet, you should consider the personal reaction to pain in the first place.
Average Cost of Wrist Tattoo
Just like in the case of the pain level, there is no one-for-all answer when it comes to the cost of the procedure. It primarily depends on the design you choose, along with the artist’s fee and your location. Yet, you should be ready to spend at least $100 on a relatively small piece done by a professional artist.
Wrist Tattoo Aftercare
The wrist tattoo is primarily the same as most tattoos when it comes to aftercare, with only a few critical exceptions to point out. Let’s browse through all of them:
- Clean your tattoo with gentle soap.
- Don’t itch and pick the design until it is fully healed.
- Put on moisturizer.
- Put on SPF when you are out in the sun.
- Make sure you don’t flex your wrist too often.
- Keep an open eye on various surfaces to constantly rub the tattooed area.
Beautiful Floral Wrist Tattoos
Many people wonder if the wrist area is painful for getting a tattoo. Well, it depends on the exact placement of a tattoo. If it’s the inner part of the wrist, keep in mind that there are many nerves there. More nerves, if to compare with the outer part of the wrist. Plus, the skin is thin in that place and, therefore, more sensitive to painful feelings.
However, many people who have several tattoos would tell you that the wrist is definitely less prone to pain than other body parts. In general, it is believed that if to imagine a pain scale, then your wrist would be 4, maybe 5, and your ribs would be 10. So, it’s quite bearable.
And if you are still scared, you can always pick some simple and small wrist tattoos, like a flower tattoo. And here you can find some inspo. These flower tattoos won’t require much ink because of their size. So, you will experience less pain in case you opt for one.
And there is one important thing that we must tell you. When it comes to tattooing, the pain threshold and tolerance is individual. So, what feels fine to one person may make another person cry.
Bracelet Wrist Tattoo Designs
If you’re looking for some nice small tattoo ideas, why not choose one of these adorable yet simple designs? Apply a tattoo like these, and it will bring you a daily dose of inspiration. You know, it is always mood-boosting to look at something pretty.
Flowers and berries are reminiscent of the spring and are often used for female wrist tattoos. These elements are capable of making any tattoo cuter and more feminine.
Side Wrist Tattoo Ideas
Do you know what we love most about side wrist tattoos? Their appearance tends to be very sensitive, and the tattoos in these pics are not an exception.
Some people view tattoos as simply embellishments, while others take the meaning of tattoos into account. For example, a feather tattoo like the one depicted here is actually quite symbolic. Feathers are associated with birds, so the common meanings of such tattoos include freedom, love for traveling, bravery, and truth.
Wrist Tattoo Ideas For Couple Or Friends
The best way to make the process of getting a tattoo more amusing is to invite someone close to join you. Happy couples often have unique wrist tattoos. Why pick the wrist, not another body part? Because thus the tattoos will match when people in love are holding their hands together. But if you don’t have a significant other, maybe you have a best friend who would like to show off your friendship to the whole world.
Unique Wrist Tattoo Designs
These tattoo designs are super charming, don’t you agree? And each of these options can represent something unique for you.
Do you know why people choose to depict fish on their wrists? Fish is often associated with wealth, persistence, power, healing, luck, patience, ambitions, strength, and wisdom. Overall, these meanings are very positive. So, a fish tattoo looks lovely, and its sense is profound, why not go for it?
Wrist Tattoos With Words
If you are searching for some extra motivation in your life, then there is nothing better than getting wrist tattoos words. A sign is something small and not very eye-catching, yet, it is always there for you. And you know how powerful the words can be. Words can comfort, they can give strength or self-confidence, and they can restrict. There are many motivational phrases that people pick for their tattoos. Do you want to hide its meaning? Translate the phrase into a foreign language, and no one but you will understand what it denotes.
Small Wrist Tattoos With Meaning
What are the most meaningful wrist tattoos? Well, these would be different for every person. As we live, we face some significant events in our lives. And getting a tattoo is one of the ways to make that event memorable.
For many people, the birth of their child is a crucial moment, the moment of pure happiness that they will never forget. That’s why many people choose to get a tattoo with a date of birth of their child.
Simple Designs For Your Wrist Tattoo
Aren’t these wrist simple tattoos super sweet? Yes, they are very simple. But you know, in case you are an easy going, positive person, you will probably love them. Plus, not all of us are brave enough to get some intricate tattoos that require much ink and time.
Watercolor Wrist Tattoo Ideas
Are you inspired to get a wrist tattoo? Great! And we have so many curious things worthy of your attention on our blog. Don’t forget to check them out.
FAQ: Wrist Tattoos
Do wrist tattoos hurt your veins?
Getting tattooed over wrist veins is just the same as getting tattooed anywhere else on your body.
There are three layers of skin — epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis ― that separate and protect the area of veins from the surface. The needle will be penetrating the dermis layer, and not any deeper than this. Don’t worry, your artist won’t hurt your veins.
How long do wrist tattoos take to heal?
Healing time depends on your health condition and how well you care for the healing skin, but in general, you can call yourself healed after 6 months. It will usually take about 2 to 3 weeks before you can wet it.
Are wrist tattoos okay for work?
Having visible tattoos can affect your hiring opportunities as employment process can be very subjective.
However, people in the military, education, government, international affairs, religion etc. are all capable of having non-visible tattoos if they so desire to.
That being said, as long as you can maintain a professional appearance where they are hidden, no employer really has any reason not to hire you based on your hidden tattoos.