Some tattoo designs feature an undeniable appeal that both men and women are inevitably drawn to, and the moon tattoo is on the list. There is barely a person who can resist the pull that the celestial body has. Many myths, legends, and mysteries are connected with the moon in either of its phases. Besides, moon tattoo designs are rich in aesthetics and meaning. Thus, the reasons to pick the ink from the rest are one reason too many. Care to learn something new on the subject and get your fair share of inspiration? You have come to the right place!
- Moon Tattoo Meaning
- Phases of the Moon
- Moon Tattoo Popular Placements
- Full Moon Tattoo Ideas
- Crescent Moon Tattoos
- Sun and Moon Tattoos
- Moon Dream Catcher Tattoo
- Moon with Flowers Tattoos
Moon Tattoo Meaning
Before we proceed with trendy and beautiful moon tattoo ideas, you have to learn about the moon tattoo meaning. Just like the sun tattoo, moon ink has more than just one connotation to it. Let’s discuss the most popular ideas:
- Femininity – because of the moon’s transition phases, the celestial body is closely connected with the female image. Throughout the ages, the moon has been depicted as a goddess and people worshiped it for its power, light and guidance during the darkest times.
- Constancy – the moon is ever-present, as opposed to the sun. You can see its outline during the daytime as well.
- Friendship – if you want to eternalize the notion of friendship in your skin, you can choose the design of the sun and moon in one tattoo. The connotation can be taken further to symbolize strong emotions and feelings such as love and devotion.
Phases of the Moon
When you decide to depict a moon phase tattoo on your body, you have to realize that all phases carry a different meaning to them.
- New moon – of all the moon phases tattoo with a new moon will signify a fresh start or a new beginning in your life.
- Waxing crescent moon – this phase stands for strong intentions. As the moon grows brighter, so will your intentions shape themselves well.
- First quarter moon – when you have already finalized your decision, you can choose the phase to remind yourself of your choice.
- Waxing Gibbous moon – the current phase is where you think about the refinement.
- Full moon – such a design would stand for the start of the intended operation no matter what.
- Waning gibbous – as opposed to all the ‘active’ phases, the waning one is about something you are grateful for.
- Waning crescent – among all the minimalist moon phases tattoo, the given one is about surrender, yet it does not necessarily mean failure, but rather acceptance.
Moon Tattoo Popular Placements
The tattoo placement plays as vital part as the design itself. Surely, you pick a unique placement according to your own wishes and preferences. However, modern trends show that back tattoos for women, especially the nape of the neck, ankles, and wrists, are the fittest locations for a moon tattoo. If you think about it, you can fit a small half moon tattoo even behind your ear or on your finger. That is the beauty of moon designs. They can fit almost anywhere.
Full Moon Tattoo Ideas
Any tattoo artist will tell you that a full moon tattoo is one of the most requested ones. All due to the fact that the design signifies goal achievement and determination. Besides, you don’t have to limit your imagination to either a blue moon tattoo or a black moon tattoo. You can go purple or any other preferred shade if you please. The connotation will be slightly altered, but the core remains.
Crescent Moon Tattoos
There is a peculiar connotation to a crescent moon tattoo, especially if you are a woman. The design stands for motherhood and fertility. Overall, the image is utterly feminine, and you can take things a little further by spicing your ink with gentle girly colors and such mythical creatures as wise ravens and unicorns.
Sun and Moon Tattoos
The direct sun and moon tattoo meaning is the notion of friendship. That is why a sun and moon tattoo is usually paired ink. Keep in mind that you don’t have to double the design with your bestie. As long as either ink contains both celestial bodies, your intentions will be fulfilled.
Moon Dream Catcher Tattoo
Moon and stars tattoo is another popular design that many women are head over heels about. Unlike the moon and sun tattoo, the moon and star tattoo is about the family. Mothers often view their kids as little, twinkling stars and thus the combination. Moreover, you can pair your moon and stars with a lovely dreamcatcher to keep all the bad energy and dreams at bay.
Moon with Flowers Tattoos
To reach the peak of a feminine vibe, lots of girls choose to pair their moon tattoos with flowers. Even the most minimalist moon tattoo adorned will flowers will take your breath away. Make your ink colored, and you will have a masterpiece etched into your body.
What do moon tattoos symbolize?
Moon has always been a symbol of motherhood, fertility, and femininity. Yet, there is room for new beginnings, creativity, and friendship.
What do moon tattoos mean on a woman?
Despite the numerous symbolic points related to a moon tattoo, every person introduces own meaning to the design. Generally, a moon inked on a woman can speak of her great taste, sensibility, and eternal beliefs.