A side fishtail braid looks really gorgeous and it seems as though it takes a lot of time and skills to do it. You may also think that you would need to go to a hair salon if you want this hairdo. This is a wrong thought. You just need to arm yourself with patience, some hair appliances, and our tutorial.
Your hair styling skills will be improved instantly with our detailed and interesting explanation on how to do a side fishtail braid upstyle.
How To Do Classic Side Fishtail Braid
To prepare your hair for a side fishtail braid you need to add some thickening spray. With the help of it, you will add texture to your hair.
The next step will be sectioning. We need to divide the hair into three sections. The first two will be at the top. Make a part in the middle right to your high crown and then move to the top of your ear. After this, make a part from the high crown to the ear on the other side of the head. Clip those two sections with pins. By the way, in case you have hair extensions, be extra careful while sectioning. At this point, you should have two top sections and one back section.You also might like: ★ How to Do a Half Up Side Braid ★ How to Do a Double French Braid With A Ponytail ★ 12 Favorite Braided Hair Tutorials
Now we are working with the back section. Comb your hair, go straight down, divide it into two strands. Start making a French braid, which is quite simple. Take a thin strand of hair from one side, place it over to the other side, and repeat it all the way down. Be sure the strands you take are not too thick. Otherwise, you won’t get a fishtail effect. When you reach the point where you have braided about two-thirds of your hair, start directing the bulk of the braid to one side. Just change your body position. Once you are done braiding, secure the braid with clear elastic.
Now we need to deconstruct the braid a little bit. Use a dry texture spray all over it. After this, pull out the strands of fishtail. This will add some bohemian touch to the ‘do.You also might like: ★ How to Do a Big French Side Braid ★ How to Do a Twisted Side Braid ★ How to Do a Bohemian Side Braid
At this point, we start working with top sections. Begin with a side part, curl all of the hair away from the face with a curling iron. Make a couple of vertical sections, tease at the roots, twist and tuck them into the fishtail. Secure these strands with bobby pins. Also, leave some hairs out at the top which is essential for the romantic look we are striving to.
We hope this tutorial was useful for you and you nailed it.
More Ideas How To Style Your Hair With Side Fishtail Braid
Messy Half-Up With One Side Fishtail Braid
Looking for an easy hairdo to replicate on a daily basis? Why not try a messy side fishtail look?
- Mess your hair up a little.
- Take three strands of hair at the top of your head, leaving some bangs in the front.
- Start braiding your fishtail down, adding the hair from the side as well as from the back of the head.
- When your braid is shoulder-length, secure it with a hair elastic.
Dutch Fishtail Braid
Getting ready for a semi-formal event but have no clue how to style your hair? We have something cool for you to try yourself at!
- Brush your hair well.
- Part your hair into two slightly different sections.
- Start the braid on the section that is a little bigger than the other.
- Begin the process by taking two similar strands near the part.
- Take a small section of the inner strand, cross it underneath, and then add it to the outer section.
- Repeat the process with the outer strand.
- Now, when you are taking a section from the inner strand after you cross it underneath, take another section from the back to add to the outer section.
- Repeat the process with the outer strand.
- Keep doing the same until you are out of hair.
- After that, continue braiding the way you do a regular fishtail braid.
- Secure the braid with a hair tie.
- Pull on the sides of the braid a little to grant your braid that stylish voluminous look.
Side Fishtail Braid Updo
If you are in search of an elegant fishtail hairdo, this fantastic updo will steal your heart. It is so elegant and so easy to replicate that it is hard to imagine!
- Part your hair on the right.
- Take two sections of your hair near the part.
- Cross the strand from the inner section over into the outer one.
- Repeat the process with the outer section.
- As you are moving down with the braiding process, stick to the basics, but do not forget about adding a fresh strand to the braid, taking it from the hair that is loose.
- Keep braiding until you reach the top of your ear.
- When you reach the top of your ear, continue braiding your hair like you would braid a regular fishtail.
- Secure the braid at the bottom.
- Split the remaining hair into two parts and braid another fishtail at the back.
- Once the back fishtail is secured, twist it into a bun and secure with bobby pins.
- Twist that loose hair at the sides into some messy little twists to add some more depth and detail to your hairdo.
- Now, wrap the side braid around the bun and secure it with bobby pins.
- Pull on the sides of your braids to grant them some necessary fullness.
- Finish the look with your favorite hair accessory.
Side Fishtail Braid For Short Hair
Who says that all the fancy styles are reserved for long hair? You can easily recreate a cute side fishtail braid with short hair too. Here is how you can do it.
- Part your hair the usual.
- Leave your bangs out.
- Take a section of your hair so that the parts on both sides for a V letter.
- Start braiding a fishtail braid by sectioning the strand into two.
- Keep adding the hair to the braid as you go down with it.
- Secure the end with an elastic hairband.
- Pull on the side of the braid to make it look a little fuller.
- With the help of a few bobby pins, secure the braid over your ear.
- Use some hairspray to keep the hairdo in place.
Faux Fishtail Braid
In case it happens so that a regular fishtail is no longer exciting, it is time to give a faux one a try!
- Brush your hair thoroughly.
- Swipe all the hair to one side.
- Grab a big section right in the middle and secure it with a hair elastic on a chin level.
- Now, section your hair a little above the elastic and pull the rest of the hair through it.
- Take two strands of hair on each side of the middle strand, secure them with a hair elastic in the front, right below the middle elastic.
- Pull the top section through the ‘hole’ in the middle.
- Keep repeating the process until you reach the end.
- Secure the end with a hair elastic.
- Pull on the sides of your faux braid to grant it some texture and a more defined look.
FAQ: Side Fishtail Braid
What is an infinity braid?
An infinity braid is made by wrapping hair in a horizontal “8” pattern around two hair sections. This braid adds hair pieces along the way just like a dutch braid. It is a good way to jazz up your basic dutch braid.
What is a braid crown?
Crown braids are a kind of French braid that wraps around the head, above the brow, in a half-moon shape that looks like a crown or tiara. While they appear to be difficult, if you can do a standard French braid straight down your head, you will surely master the crown braid.
What is a bubble braid?
A bubble braid is made up of one or more ponytails that are tied with hair ties down the ponytail with 1-2 inches of space between them. As you fix each section with an elastic, use your fingertips to spread the hair between the two elastics, creating a bubble effect.