Black lipstick is daring and not every woman knows how to pull it off not to resemble some fairy-tale character. Even though we only start getting used to the trend, in reality, it has been around for as long as several thousand years. Women in Ancient Egypt knew how to rock this shade, so it’s more classic than you think. But let’s talk about pulling it off today. And let’s move from the general black lipstick tips to the specific application advice.
First of all, your lips will do the talking. So, stay away from bold colors for your eye makeup for black lipstick. Otherwise, you risk at looking like you’re going to a Halloween party. For example, pair dark lipstick with mascara and maybe some eyeliner plus blush.
The great news is that black lipstick looks pretty good on anyone. If we are talking about jet black lipstick like black lipstick Mac or black lipstick NYX. So, if you wonder how to wear black lipstick on dark skin or medium skin, you definitely have nothing to worry about. However, jet black hues might appear terrifically severe against lighter skin tones. So, you will have to opt for blotting it down in this case.
However, keep in mind that the glossy finish will need more maintenance. Keep the liner or lip gloss in the purse in order to reapply it during the day.
Now when you know the basics, let’s see the pics that will demonstrate you how to wear black lipstick without looking goth.
Lips Makeup Ideas In Black ShadesSource: mua_ashley_ via Instagram, tobeyoutiful_com via Instagram, missjazminad via Instagram
One more important thing to consider: black lipstick outfits. Well, it might sound surprising, but actually, a black lipstick girl can sport practically any outfit because this dark lipstick shade is quite versatile. In case you wonder how to wear black lipstick casually, opt for denim and relaxed knitwear. And for the night, pair such lipstick with a classic black dress, for example.
Tips On Wearing Black LipstickSource: missjazminad via Instagram, melissasamways via Instagram, tobeyoutiful_com via Instagram
And here are some tips on wearing black lipstick in public. Remember, precision will help you sport this striking lip color in the most beautiful manner. How to achieve precision?
- Exfoliate your lips. Exfoliate the lips gently, using lip scrub or a toothbrush that is soft. Thus, you will succeed in getting rid of flakes or dead skin.
- Moisturize your lips. This step is important because even the best black liquid lipstick will only amplify such flaws as chapped or dry lips. So, after exfoliating, apply moisturizer or lip balm. Let the lips absorb the product or the liner might slide.
- Line your lips. The line must be precise. Remember that dull pencils make disproportioned and thick lines, so sharpen the pencil before lining. And black eyeliner can easily replace lip liner as, let’s be honest, even a professional Mac lipstick set might not include black lip liner. When applying the liner, it is advisable to follow the natural line of your lips. Or, if you do not wish to use eyeliner, clear lip liner will work, too. The liner helps make the lipstick stay put. Plus, in case you do not put on such lipstick often, why spend money on black lip liner?
Glam Makeup Ideas With Black LipstickSource: makeupbyalinna via Instagram, naye0na via Instagram, kerminaxtadros via Instagram
- Apply another layer of liner. Use either the pencil or the dark lipstick. If it’s lipstick, apply it using a brush not to step out of the original line. Keep cotton swabs at hand in case of making mistakes. Correct it at once instead of painting over it.
- Add some glossy finish if you wish. Surely, if you have the best matte black lipstick, you might wish to skip this step. But if you don’t, the glossy effect might come in handy. Just add little lip gloss to the center of the lips. Next, purse the lips and then spread that gloss all over.
Black Matte LipstickSource: mua_ashley_ via Instagram, vladamua via Instagram, tartecosmetics via Instagram
A matte finish is pretty popular these days, and there are many black lipstick brands that offer matte finishes. And luckily, the prices are quite flexible. Thus, you can find less expensive black matte lipstick Walmart or drugstore black lipstick. And you can find more expensive brands like Mac lipstick matte or NYX lipstick matte. The choice is yours.
Soft Eyes With Bold Lips Makeup LooksSource: hellyluv via Instagram, lolaliner via Instagram, iluvsarahii via Instagram
If resembling an elf or goth is not your intention, do not apply much makeup to your eyes. As you can see, these pics show that this daring lip color will appear not so striking when the eye makeup is soft.
Black Lipstick With Festive AccentSource: msscaliforniamakeup via Instagram, kyliecosmetics via Instagram, maccosmetics via Instagram
In case there is a special occasion ahead, you can go as wild as you can. Do black lips seem to be not enough daring for you? Add gold liner or shimmer effect for a look that will definitely turn heads. You will be the hit!
Amazing Makeup Looks With Black LipstickSource: karissa_hernandez via Instagram, lindahallberg via Instagram
Here you can see glammed up makeup looks with black lips that would be more appropriate for special occasions or nights out because they are quite bright. If you plan on wearing black lipstick to school or work though, this amount of makeup might be excessive.
How To Wear Black Lipstick For Any OccasionSource: daianakir via Instagram, zobeautyy via Instagram, jessicapettway via Instagram
We hope that our tips are helpful and now you can put on coal lipstick without any hesitation. Visit us every time you wish to learn something interesting.
FAQ: Black Lipstick
Is there a black lip stain?
Nowadays, there are a lot of black lip makeup options on the market including black lip stain & tint, liquid lip formulas. Those are some long-lasting options that ensure durability and hyperpigmentation of black color. Thus, when removing your dark lipstick, use lip scrub or oils.
What does black lipstick symbolize?
Black lipstick adds a great accent to your look. It means that you are an extraordinary person who is open to everything new and not afraid to stand out. It may also symbolize that you have a dark side; a dark sense of humor. Sarcastic views of life are integral to your personality.
Was this article helpful?