What is black seed oil? It is the oil extracted from a little flowering shrub called Nigella sativa. These plants grow in the south-west of Asia naturally but are also cultivated in the Middle East and Eastern Europe.
The black seeds of this plant were used as remedies for hundreds of years. The seeds can be used in cooking too. They add flavor to pickles, curries, and bread. They have a somewhat bitter taste that is slightly reminiscent of oregano.
Read on to discover more info about this oil – its benefits and usage.
Black Seed Oil Health Benefits
Black seed oil is beneficial for your health and can help cure or relieve many conditions. But of course, always consult with your healthcare professional before adding some new product to your diet. Here are the pros of consuming this oil:
- It helps to reduce high blood pressure and lower high blood sugar levels. This works for people who have mildly elevated blood pressure and sugar levels. The course of use is 2 months. And when the blood sugar level is normalized, it is easier for the body to return to its normal weight. So, weight loss is one more pro.
- High cholesterol levels can also be treated with Nigella sativa oil. The healthier levels of cholesterol are maintained with the help of fatty acids like oleic and linoleic acids that are present in the oil.
- If you suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, Nigella sativa oil can assist in relieving its symptoms. The inflammation is reduced when the oil is ingested.
- The oil can decrease the symptoms of asthma and allergic rhinitis. The oil has unique anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce the inflammation in lungs.
- Taking Nigella sativa oil can reduce stomach upset. Cramps, stomach pain, gas, the emergence of ulcers, stomach bloating – these conditions can be avoided with the oil intake.
- The oil has antioxidant properties. And as we all know, antioxidants help to prevent, delay certain types of the damages of cells in the human organism.
Black Seed Oil And Olive Oil For Hair
A black seed oil product has many benefits for hair. Just check out some black seed oil reviews at first to pick the best 100 % organic brand.
- Maintain the health of the scalp. Do you know that the state of your hair depends on the health of your scalp? It happens so because each hair grows from a follicle on the scalp. And scalp irritation, dandruff, oiliness can clog or weaken the follicles and thus make them less productive. Nigella sativa oil has many properties that help maintain the health of the scalp. These are antiviral, anti-fungal, pain killing, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. The oil can deal with dandruff, relieve eczema and psoriasis, moisturize the scalp.
- Black seed extract can stimulate the regrowth of the hair. Thymoquinone and Nigellone present in the oil are very powerful antihistamines. And antihistamines are often prescribed to people who suffer from alopecia areata or androgenic alopecia. They increase the chances of the hair regrowth.
- Black seed oil for hair can decrease the hair fall. This quality is probably the most well-known. The number of nutrients present in Nigella sativa oil way exceeds over 100. So, it is a very rich source of all possible nourishing elements for the hair follicles. The hair loss reduces when the follicles are nourished well.
- Postpone graying. Nigella sativa oil is a popular and, most importantly, effective anti-graying product. The oil locks the pigment in hair follicles. People with a vitiligo condition can benefit from this quality, as well.
- Nigella sativa extract is great conditioner. In case your scalp does not produce enough natural oil, also called sebum, it becomes dry. And Nigella sativa oil assists in normalizing the production of oil in the scalp. Your tresses will be properly conditioned yet not too greasy. Containing many fatty amino acids, the oil will seal the moisture and ease the frizz if any.
And here is a simple recipe with just 1 tbsp of olive oil and1 tbsp of black seed oil for your tresses.
- Mix olive and Nigella sativa oil in some bowl.
- Massage the mixture into the scalp.
- When the scalp is already fully covered with the oil, continue on toward the ends.
- Let the oil sit for half an hour, rinse with shampoo.
- Apply the mix 2 times per week. This treatment works awesome for people who have combination or oily hair. You will get silky, healthier hair, with no split ends.
Benefits Of Black Seeds Oil For Skin
Applying black seed oil to your skin is beneficial, as well. The black seed extract is rich in fatty acids that can’t be produced by your body. So, when used in skin care, the oil grants radiant and youthful skin.To nourish dry skin, prepare a paste with Nigella seeds and honey. Apply for 30 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water for glowing skin. Or make a paste with black seed powder, black seed oil, and sesame oil. In only one week, you will get better nourished skin.
Do you have acne? Then a paste that is made with apple cider vinegar and Nigella seeds may help. The paste is applied topically to each acne.
Black Seed Oil Usege And Risks
How to add black seeds to your dishes? For example, sprinkle the seeds on toasted flatbreads. They can also be sprinkled on biscuits, bagels. People often add black seeds to stir-fries, curries, and soups. And it is super tasty to grind black seeds and mix them with seasonings like fennel or mustard.
Are there any risk factors? When improving the state of your skin and hair with black seed oil, it is possible that some allergic reactions will occur. So, if you are prone to allergies, first apply the slightest amount of oil to your arm and watch what happens.
Also, Nigella sativa oil can harm your kidneys and liver in case these organs are already weakened. But your doctor can determine if there is some safe dose that can be taken.
What is the benefits of black seed oil?
Thanks to the high content of antioxidants, black seed oil offers you a number of benefits. It can aid you with asthma treatment and different concerns your skin may have. Also, it may help decrease the level of sugar in your blood and cholesterol. If you are trying to lose weight, black seed oil may also contribute to this. What is more, it can protect the health of your brain.
Who should not take black seed oil?
For people with bleeding disorders and those who are on medication with blood clotting as one of the side effects, it is better to eliminate black seed oil from their diet. Also, if you are going to have surgery, you should not take black seed oil for around 14 days prior to it. Beta blockers and some other popular medical treatments may get into interaction with black seed oil.
What are the side effects of black seed oil?
Among the most common side effects caused by black seed oil consumption are an allergic rash, abdominal pain, constipation and vomit. If you apply it topically, then side effects are unlikely apart from an allergic rash.
Now you know that there are so many ways of using black seed oil so that the state of your hair, skin, and organism could be enhanced. Just try! And don’t leave so soon, as we have a lot more to offer to satisfy your curiosity.