All The Benefits Of Rowing Machine Exercising
The truth is that you will not surprise anyone with most of the fitness practices available these days. However, there is a new trend called rowing machine. You may also hear other names such as rower and ergometes, but they stand for the same thing. Why is this device so popular, you may wonder? The fact is that according to the recent researches it tends to help you burn 10-15% more calories than running or cycling. Impressive, isn’t it? That is why people who want to get in shape as soon as possible favor this machine to all the other. All these facts lead us to the thought that it may be quite useful for you to learn all possible information on this new fitness miracle before jumping to a conclusion to give it a try.
Rowing Machine - Newest Trend In The Fitness World
To begin with, it needs to be mentioned why does this machine tend to outshine all the others available. The fact is that for the most part we are used to running or since we have been doing it starting with the time when we were kids. With rowing, it is different because your body is totally unused to such a movement. This new sport is challenging because it triggers all the muscle group in both your upper body as well as in the lower. What is more, this type of workout includes both cardio and physical workout. If you combine these factors together you will get a super powerful machine which will help you trim down your body in no time.
Main Features Of Rowing Machine Workout
If you wish to compare rowing machine workout to all the other cardio exercises you need to keep a few simple things in mind. First of all, rowing can end up in burning up to 800 calories an hour – no other cardio exercise can show such a result. As it has been already mentioned, all the parts of your body participate in the exercise which means that you tone up your upper body, lower body, and core while doing the same exercise. As you can see the answer is quite simple – by far rowing machine is the best machine in terms of successful calories burning process.
What Muscle Groups Are Involved
Before you learn how to use a rowing machine, it is essential to figure out which muscle groups it affects.
The thing is that big push works on your quads, hamstrings, and glutes. These are the leg muscles which are active all the time you push. Since these are the biggest groups, they help you burn the most calories even after you are through with the exercise.
It needs to be pointed out that big pushes also require stabilization and this means that your core muscles are active as well.
Due to the pulling motion, your arms and back muscles are working too.
To sum everything up, it should be said that rowing involves all great muscle groups.
Other Amazing Benefits Of Using Row Machine
Now when you know a little more about the row machine and how it affects your muscles it needs to be pointed out which rowing machine benefits there are. Let’s have a closer look at them:
- The cardiovascular benefits keep your lungs and heart healthy.
- Total body workout.
- Huge number of calories are burnt in the process.
- It increases your endurance.
- A broad range of motion.
- Increased resistance.
- Suitable for older adults as well as for people with joints issues.
- Improves body flexibility and stamina.
- Low risk of injury.
Rowing Machine Exercises
Even though it may seem that all the rowing machine exercises are pretty much the same, it is not true. The fact is that there are few variations you can use to increase the intensity of your workout. We are going to discuss all of them, so read on to learn more.
When it comes to rowing machine workouts, not all the people, dare to give them a try due to the insecurity. The fact is that not all the people know how to use the machine properly, that is why we are going to help you out on that. There are three main positions:
- The Catch: sit on the machine and bend your knees, place the feet in the hold. Grab the handle in your hands. Tighten your abs and straighten the back.
- The Drive: Push with your legs, straighten them so that they are unbent and pull the handle with your arms simultaneously.
- The Finish: when your legs are straight, lean back at a 45-degree angle, keep the arm extended and reverse to the original position. As simple as that!
Now, let’s move to another version of rowing workouts. Power curls are the exercise you need when you wish to work on your biceps. However, it affects your core as well. Here is what you need to do:
- Repeat the basic rowing exercise three times and hold the Finish position.
- Bend your elbows and bring the handle to the chin then uncurl.
- Repeat four curls while in finish position.
- Repeat the whole exercise up to 8 times.
Side curls or side rows will affect your arm muscles, but at the same time, they will trigger your waistline area as well.
- Begin with the Catch position; make sure that your back is straight.
- Push while straightening your legs.
- Pull the handles with your arms to your left side and lean back.
- Repeat the exercise up to 8 times and then switch the side.
Sprints Or Extreme Rowing
If you want to increase the cardio effect, then you need extreme rowing variation. This exercise will lessen the resistance but will increase the speed, and this will result in aerobic activity significantly. This is how you need to do it:
- Do the basic rowing exercise, but when it comes to pulling the handle, you should not take it the whole way back. Increase your speed while in the Drive position.
- Repeat the exercise within one minute.
- You can increase the time as well as the speed to increase the intensity.
This exercise is quite the opposite version of the previous one since instead of increasing the cardio effect it influences the strengthening one.
- Do the basic rowing exercise but a slower pace.
- When in Finish position bend the elbows and pull the handle back. Try to lean back as far as you can while still pulling the handle; try not to hunch.
Simple Rowing With Calisthenics
This version is rowing is not that much of a variation rather a workout option. You need to combine rowing with callisthenic exercises.
- Repeat basic rowing up to 12 times.
- Do 8 alternate walking lunges.
- Repeat the rowing set.
- Add 8 squats.
- Repeat the rowing set.
- Finish with plank twists.
Just like with any type of workout or with any training machine at that point, there are some crucial points to keep in mind when working with the rowing machine. As it has been already said this machine is great when you need to burn calories. However you need to be very careful with it. You need to stick to the correct technique of exercising; otherwise it may result in injury. It is best if you introduce this workout gradually into your routine.
Very often, people leave out one vital point when exercising – breathing. It is best if you inhale while in Catch position, exhale with force when you pull the handle, inhale when you get back into the original position.
It is also essential to do some stretching after you are through with rowing.
Rowing machine is a new trend you need to consider when you want to lose weight and shape your body fast and efficiently. In case you need some precise information on the machine, its effect on the human body as well as precise exercises – you have come to the right place!