Harry Potter is a legendary story that has won the hearts of millions of people all over the planet. No matter what age you are now, you for sure know what we are talking about. How much magic has the boy who has survived brought to your life? How many lessons has it taught you? For sure a lot. Why don`t you show how thankful you are for the atmosphere it made you feel with a tattoo? A beautiful reminder about this literature bestseller that has changed the lives of millions. Here are some gorgeous designs and tattoo ideas for women and men graced with Harry Potter`s theme.*We may earn money from affiliate links on this page. Please check out our disclosure policy for more details.
Popular Designs of Harry Potter Tattoos
Harry Potter tattoos are exceptionally popular, and there's more than a single reason why. Whether you prefer meaningful small Harry Potter tattoos or a larger piece packed with a special symbolism and connotation, there are countless ideas to experiment with. Let's discuss the most sought-after variants to point you in the right direction:
- The symbol of the Deathly Hollows: the iconic trio belongs to the category of both exceptionally symbolic and simple Harry Potter tattoos. Depict the Elder Wand, the Invisibility Cloak, and the Resurrection Stone to symbolize strength, unity, and eternal thirst for knowledge and adventures.
- Lightning bolt scar: celebrate the Boy Who Lived through the inked scar and coat it with your personal emotions and feelings.
- Patronus charm: the primary aim of the Patronus is to protect the caster. However, each animalist form that it takes has a direct connection to the person who performs the charm so that you can come up with your very own Patronus shape and feel like you belong to the celebrated mages and a Hogwarts own is about to bring you an invitation letter!
- Spells: if you are a true fan, you must have your favorite incantation to ink yourself with. What will it be – Vingardium LeviosA? Expecto Patronum? Lumos? Mischief Managed?
- House crest: which house do you associate yourself with? Courageous Gryffindor, ambitious Slytherin, witty Ravenclaw, or loyal Hufflepuff – pick your favorite crest and showcase your strengths and values.
What is your favorite "Harry Potter" movie?
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
What is your favorite "Harry Potter" movie?
- Main characters: we all feel slightly attached to one or a few saga heroes so you can opt for a skillful portrait of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Hedwig, or Hagrid.
- Platform 9¾: make sure that muggles can't decipher your tattoo and ink the sign of the Hogwarts Express platform as a perfect symbol of a magical gateway between two worlds.
- Marauder's map: the iconic map shows all secrets that stay otherwise hidden. Thus, it represents an unquenchable thirst for exploration. Moreover, it stands as an ideal symbol of loyalty and friendship.
- Quidditch: if you are a sports fan, a Golden Snitch, a Nimbus 2000, Firebolt, or the whole Quidditch pitch will help you immortalize your passion.
- Time-Turner: no matter how great it would be to get your hands on such a handy magical item as a Time-Turner, you must realize that reshaping your past may have a negative impact on your future, so it is best to consider your deeds and actions before taking a step forward.
- Broomstick: who doesn't like one of the best means of transport the story depicts? Etch your favorite broomstick in your skin to celebrate your bond with the Wizarding world.
- Hedwig: while all owls are exceptionally adorable, Hedwig is legendary. It is the representation of a true friend who stands by your side even when you don't ask for it.
- The Dark Mark: the battle between good and evil in Harry Potter books may not be as black and white as we'd potentially like. Thus, a Dark Mark perfectly represents complexity and thirst for redemption.
- Book and Glasses: what screams "Harry Potter" louder than his famous round glasses and magical books?
Harry Potter Theme Elements
Hogwarts Tattoo Ideas
Hogwarts tattoo is a great idea that will represent the magic school in the best way. You can add a colorful detail like the deathly hallows done in watercolor to blend the design and you will love the results you will end up with.
Popular Quotes from Harry Potter
Harry Potter tattoo ideas are truly unlimited. If you don't seek a visual representation from the series as a Harry Potter tattoos small, you can choose your favorite quote and tattoo it on your body so that everyone or only the chosen ones can see it.
"Always." - Severus Snape
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
"Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." - Hermione Granger
"All was well." - J.K. Rowling (The final line of the book series)
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." - The Marauder's Map
"After all this time?" "Always." - Severus Snape and Albus Dumbledore
"Mischief Managed." - The Marauder's Map
"Don't let the muggles get you down." - Ron Weasley
"We've all got both light and dark inside us." - Sirius Black
"I am what I am an' I'm not ashamed. 'Never be ashamed,' my ol' dad used ter say, 'there's some who'll hold it against you, but they're not worth botherin' with.'" - Rubeus Hagrid
"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." - Albus Dumbledore
"The ones that love us never really leave us." - Sirius Black
"Of course, it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love." - Albus Dumbledore
"For in dreams, we enter a world that is entirely our own." - Albus Dumbledore
"We must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy." - Albus Dumbledore
"Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it." - Albus Dumbledore
"It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." - Albus Dumbledore
"There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them." - J.K. Rowling
Patronus Tattoo Meanings
Every Hogwarts tattoo has its unique symbolism. However, there's something exceptional about the Patronus Charm. It takes a potent positive memory to cast the spell. Moreover, it is one of the protective spells that is impossible to counteract. Not to mention that every Patronus is unique and bears an individual mark of the person who casts it:
- Stag: Harry's Patronus was a stag, and there's a reason why. The magnificent creature represents courage, bravery, and resilience.
- Otter: Hermione's Patronus was an otter. If you think about it, otters are pretty playful, social, intelligent, and loyal.
- Phoenix: the bird that rises from the ashes and symbolizes transformation and hope. Professor Dumbledor's Patronus was a phoenix, and it stood for his strength, wisdom, and determination.
- Doe: initially, a doe was Lily's Patronus, but after her passing, Severus Snape adopted it to show his grief, sensitivity, and gentleness that were presented in no other way.
- Wolf: while it seems that a wolf Patronus speaks for itself – it represents primal instincts, loyalty, and leadership. However, when Tonks adopted it, it signified a strong connection to the man she loved, who also was a werewolf.
- Dolphin: dolphin Patronus stands for harmony and empathy. Use this Harry Potter tattoo to define your outstanding traits.
- Horse: Ginny cast a horse Patronus which symbolized her free spirit, power, and endurance.
- Swan: Cho created a swan Patronus as an ode to her inner beauty, grace, and elegance no matter the situation she was in.
- Eagle: an eagle Patronus embodies wisdom, unrestricted vision, and a better understanding of the world around them.
- Hare: Luna's Patronus was a hare. The animal represents agility and inspiration. Moreover, a hare is an incredibly adaptable creature that serves them well.
Main Characters Tattoo Ideas
We all love the Harry Potter films which made our childhood magical. Capturing one of these tattoos will allow you to forever remember and not lose your magic within.
FAQ: Harry Potter Tattoos
What is the meaning of a Harry Potter tattoo?
Harry Potter is a series of novels that has influenced lives of many people. Some associate it with warm memories from their childhood, while the others cherish the ideas of these books that laid the foundations of their worldview. Each Harry Potter tattoo has a unique and significant meaning.
What are some famous quotes from Harry Potter?
Getting a quote from Harry Potter makes a great idea for a tattoo. Surely, you have your favorite one. Here are some of ours:
- “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”
- “Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.”
- “Until the very end.”
- “After all this time?”
- “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
- “The ones that love us never really leave us.”
Was this article helpful?