Starting from the basics, gel nails are done with gel nail polish that has a special formula. This nail lacquer is applied to your nails in coats and then it is dried under the UV light. As a result, you get hardened manicure that lasts way longer, comparing to the old school mani.
Gel mani is relatively new and not all women are aware of its properties. Moreover, as with anything new, there are many myths that are difficult to differentiate from facts.
So, let us end the era of confusion today. We will discuss the pros and cons of getting gel mani. Ready?
Pros And Cons Of Gel NailsSource: so_nailicious via Instagram, kgrdnr via Instagram, so_nailicious via Instagram
- It lasts for a long time, especially compared to shellac nails. In case you prefer to have flawless mani wherever you go, then gel lacquer is to go for. The special formula of gel nail lacquer along with a multi-step process of drying results in the mani that lasts much longer, comparing to the mani done, using regular nail lacquer. How much longer? Well, gel mani can last 3 weeks and even longer, while the regular nail lacquer will start chopping off in about a week.
- Chips are not peculiar to gel manis. Yes, if done correctly, gel mani is unlikely to chip no matter how you treat it. Do you remember all those times when you smudged several nails right after leaving the salon? Do you remember all those times when you got home, washed some dishes and got several chipped nails as a thank you? Oh, stop it! These memories are too painful. Gel won’t torture you like that.
- Gel manis are quite cost-effective. Getting gel mani will cost you more at the moment but you will save much precious time in the long run. You can either opt for gel mani once in three weeks or the regular mani once in a week. It is all about your preference. But considering that time is money, spending 35-45 dollars once in 3 weeks is more cost-effective than spending practically the same 12-15 dollars every week.
- Removing gel nail lacquer might not be very pleasant. Well, sometimes beauty does have something to do with pain. And if your nails are thin, the feeling will be a bit painful while removing gel nail lacquer. Plus, this time the regular cotton balls and nail lacquer remover won’t help. The process of taking off gel nail lacquer is a bit more complicated. To remove it, you will have to soak the nails, using acetone. And this procedure might make the nails brittle and thinner.
- The UV light is harmful. This point must not be neglected in any case. The process of drying gel nail lacquer requires the UV light that might cause cancer. To protect the skin of your hands, apply sunscreen approximately twenty minutes prior to drying. Keep in mind that all nail lamps are harmful due to UV radiation. In case you are especially anxious concerning this issue, try air drying or switch to the regular mani.
- Peeling is unlikely but possible. Only a professional nail technician can do everything right to avoid any peel or lift of the gel nail lacquer. If you notice that such things occur, find a more skillful nail technician.
So, is gel mani worth it? We think it is unless you fear the exposure to the UV light or much acetone. Now let’s discover some trendy and pretty nail designs for various nail shapes.
Gel Nails Designs For A Coffin ShapeSource: nails.xmxnx_ via Instagram, nailsontop_nk via Instagram, iamreeceyroo via Instagram
A coffin nail shape allows for all possible nude nails because there is so much space. Here you can see nail art ideas done in pinkish shades with some whites and nail glitter – very feminine and glammed up. You should definitely try them all someday!
Stiletto Shape Gel Nails IdeasSource: ozdenguzelnails via Instagram, fiina_naillounge via Instagram, margaritasnailz via Instagram
These gel nails look especially sexy due to the most daring nail shape – stiletto. Here you can observe how various finishes can be combined: satin, matte, and glitter work together to create a miraculous ensemble on your acrylic nails. Add some accessories or prints for a totally wow effect.
Square Shape Gel NailsSource: whatsupnails via Instagram, whatsupnails via Instagram, lenisesca via Instagram
A square nail shape is quite sturdy, which is great because you won’t have to worry that you break one nail and have to cut them all then. And look at these nail art ideas for square nails. Aren’t they the definition of cute?
Almond Shape Gel Nails DesignsSource: rudman_nailstudio_nsk via Instagram, puro.nails via Instagram, puro.nails via Instagram
An almond nail shape is classical and elegant. It remains popular for many years. Every girl knows if you chose almond nails you will look like a real lady, especially when they are delicate nude. Brides-to-be often switch to this shape for their wedding nails, as it can complement the look with a touch of pure femininity.
Rounded And Oval Shapes Of Gel NailsSource: celinaryden via Instagram, furiousfiler via Instagram, alinasnailplace via Instagram
We hope that you find out many interesting facts about gel nails here in this post. Visit us every time you crave for beauty knowledge.
FAQ: Gel Nails
How long do gel nails last?
Gel nails typically last from two to three weeks.
What’s the difference between acrylic or gel nails?
Acrylic and gel nails are artificial materials that are applied to the natural nails to replace them. Gel nails look more glossy and natural, whilst acrylic nails are more robust and lasting.
How do you remove gel nails?
Acetone is the most effective liquid that removes gel nail polish. Using plastic food wrap instead of foil to wrap your nails is a better option.
What kind of fake nails are safest?
Gel extensions are less harmful because they don’t include as many harsh chemicals as artificial nails. The latter, in their turn, contain chemicals like methyl methacrylate and toluene, both of which may ruin your natural nail plates.