These days many people suffer from the excess weight which results in a series of other health issues. While some people find it easy to deal with the extra weight through healthy eating – others may find that it is not working for them as successfully. The thing is that most diets advertise the eating regime of 5 to 6 meals a day. No wonder why for some of you it may be quite challenging due to various reasons. That is why the scientists came up with something new – omad. The omad stand for one meal a day. Of course, this may sound frightening, but it has been proved to work perfectly. Such an approach is very close to fasting. As it is known fasting is a great way to get rid of excess weight and not only. It is true that such a diet is not best to keep on longer than two days a week. But even these two days can show the tremendous result. In case, we have got your attention – it is time to discover all the tiny-tiny details about this diet. Read on!
How Does The One Meal A Day Diet Work
To begin with, it should be nice to learn what is omad. Besides, why is omad diet so different from the rest of supposedly efficient diets? The truth is that as stated by the name you are allowed only one meal a day instead. The next 23 hours - no food allowed. However, we need to mention that you can drink green tea or black coffee – without sugar of course.
There is one more peculiarity about this diet – it can be changed a little depending on your health. Not all the organisms would respond to this diet in the same way. If you can’t have just one meal a day, you can substitute it with a couple of eggs and apples a day. As you can see, the diet is pretty strict which makes it seem like a pretty effective one. Yet, there is a list of peculiarities to learn about it still. So, let’s continue our journey!
Foods To Eat On Omad Diet
Now, when you know how this diet works, it is time you get to know which omad meals are allowed. To tell you the truth the list is quite impressive so that you are not going to limit yourself that hard:
- Vegetables – it is pretty apparent that there are no limits as for the veggies to consume while on a diet. Any vegetables you like most you can consume.
- Fruits – the very same goes with fruits. You can include them into your menu without the slightest fear. Although, it is recommended to limit the intake of mangos.
- Protein – any lean meat and fish are allowed while on omad.
- Dairy – you can continue to enjoy your fav dairy without any concerns.
- Whole grains – are essential not to leave out.
- Fats – no matter how strange it may sound but many fats and oils are also on the list when it comes to this diet.
- Drinks – anything apart from soda and alcohol can be involved in this diet.
Also, you can add some seeds and herbs to the menu. They always have a positive effect on your health and body.
In order to sum everything up, it is safe to say that a list of options to choose from is quite impressive. But you need to remember - you have one hour a day only!
Should You Workout While On The OMAD Diet?
Very often, a diet goes hand in hand with a workout routine. Well, here is when omad is different. The truth is that due to the omad one meal a day it is inevitable that your body may feel too weak to workout. Not to mention that the mind and mood will be on the body’s side.
However, you still need to do at least some stretching and yoga to keep the muscles active. What is more, daily meditation is a must. Those of you who can’t refuse from the gym, you need to talk to your trainer so that he will come with a personal training program. Such a program, which will do you only good instead of harm. The fact is if you are staying on this diet for too long excessive workout may influence your health in a wrong way. Keep that in mind and seek professional help whenever it is needed.
Foods To Avoid On OMAD Diet
A few chapters up you have read about the foods you can have while on an omad diet. However, there are also those that you can’t have. We are going to list them all so that you do not make any mistake that can cost you the desired result:
- Fruits – before we mentioned that fruits are allowed on this diet, but not all of them. Grapes, mangos, and pineapples should be excluded or limited.
- Protein – keep it in mind that pork and beef is not a source of protein you need.
- Dairy – anything low-fat is out of the question, they are forbidden.
- Whole grains – even though whole grains are allowed you should not abuse white rice consumption.
- Fats – anything like mayonnaise and margarine should be excluded from your menu.
- Processed food – well it is obvious enough that anything processed is of no good to you.
- Drinks – packaged juice, energy drinks as well as soda and alcohol are a no-no when you decide to stick to the omad diet.
As you can see the list of prohibited foods is not that large. Yet, you should do your best to keep away from any of the mentioned above products!
What To Include In Your One Meal A Day Diet
Many diets provide you with a precise menu however this is not the case with OMAD. Yet, we are going to mention what you should include in your eating regime. You can mix and match things to come up with something that is the best option for you personally.
When eating one meal a day make sure you include these:
- Five types of vegetables
- Three different fruits
- Lean protein
- Plant protein – for vegetarians
- Cup of buttermilk to help the digestion
- Nuts, only unsalted ones
- A piece of dark chocolate
- A lot of water
- Green tea
- An egg before every workout
Benefits Of The One Meal A Day Diet
So far we have discussed everything you should and should not eat while on an omad diet. It is time we have a closer look at what it may bring you in return for this fasting. Here is a complete list of omad benefits:Weight loss
The fact is due to this diet you can improve your sleep and digestion, and these two will result in weight reduction.Type 2 diabetes
Even though it may sound obvious enough but such factors as a poor lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits lead to something as serious as type II diabetes. However, an omad type of fasting can help reduce the glucose and insulin levels as well.Heart issues
Since fasting lowers the visceral fat, your heart will become a lot healthier.Weight Regain
Repeat omad twice a week and all the lost weight won’t ever come back.Energy
Even though you will go low on food consumption with omad your energy levels will certainly go up.Deprivation
Since there is a huge list of foods to enjoy while on omad – you won’t feel deprived and that is undoubtedly a great benefit.
It is quite evident that there is a tremendous amount of benefits about this type of diet but there are things to be aware of too, and we are going to talk about them in the next chapter.
Risks Of Following The One Meal A Day Diet
Truth be told omad weight loss may seem like a real miracle, but there is always a possible downside. That is why just before you jump to the conclusion that it is a real deal for you, we suggest you talk to your doctor first and take these few risks into consideration:
- If it is your first time on this diet, it may feel quite tricky since it may seem like you are hungry all the time.
- It is possible that you will feel weak.
- Dizziness may be a downside of this diet when you are a first-timer.
- It may be difficult to concentrate.
- When you are on menopause the metabolic rate may go down.
Keep these few things in mind and make your choice!
The truth is that omad diet is special. That is why you are bound to learn everything about it before starting it. As a matter of fact, that is something we are here to help you with!