How To Get Rid Of A Headache Before It Brings You Down
Do you wonder how to get rid of a headache? When your head aches, it can be crippling. It may even make you appreciate your non-headache life. There are numerous over-the counter medicines to help you get rid of your headache but how these medicines affect our overall body can be questionable at times.
I do not really like to succumb to those nasty headaches, and I staunchly believe that medicines should be kept for extremely bad headaches. So let us take a look at some natural tips on how to get rid of a headache.
1. WaterSource: djulia_gamova via Instagram
Surprisingly, water is among the most effective natural headache remedies. If you are dehydrated, a headache is your body’s way of alarming you about it. Just like a persistent alarm, the headache does not stop till you remedy it. If dehydration is the problem, then water is your best friend. Drink a glass of water as soon as you notice the signs of a headache and continue to keep yourself hydrated throughout the day.
While water works well, you can also try drinking a sports drink with electrolytes that can treat headaches quickly.
2. Ice PackSource: kattyphotographyofficial via Instagram
Beautiful women know the numerous benefits of an ice pack, for example, they owe their glowing perfect skin to it. But do you know that an ice pack deals with a headache, too? If your headache is the cause of stress, then an ice pack can come to your rescue. Using an ice pack on your forehead helps you numb the pain. The cold ice helps shrink the blood vessels and enhance the circulation of blood in the area.
To make an ice-pack, simply put some ice cubes or crushed ice on a piece of towel and wrap it. Hold the towel with the ice to your forehead for a couple of minutes. You can also keep a wet towel in the freezer for some time and use the cold towel on your head and temples for around 10 minutes.
3. Hot WaterSource: chiainc via Instagram
Headaches often begin when you are stressed. To release stress, try applying heat to your back so that your muscles can relax. You can utilize hot water to alleviate your headaches in the following ways:
- Use a hot water bag on the back of your neck.
- Take a hot shower and direct the hot water to the back of your neck, as the water slides down your back, you will notice the headache slowly leaves you.
- Another way of using hot water to remedy your headache is by filling a tub with warm water and dipping your hands in it for 10 to 15 minutes. It will improve the circulation of blood and give you some relief.
- Dipping your legs in hot water for approximately 10 minutes before going to bed helps relieve chronic headaches.
4. LemonSource: a_feeling via Instagram
The refreshing and relaxing features of lemon make it one of the best natural headache remedies. If the reason for your headache is gas in your stomach, then drink a glass of warm water which has half a lemon squeezed in it.
You can also pound lemon crusts into a paste and apply it to your forehead for some time. It is very helpful in bringing an end to the throbbing pain immediately.
5. AppleSource: auraavenue via Instagram
Apple as well as apple cider vinegar are very helpful in alleviating headaches. Some of the remedies for headache that use apples and apple cider vinegar are:
- Treat an early morning headache with a slice of apple which has some salt sprinkled on it. Drink some warm water after this to make sure the ache goes away.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a bowl of steaming hot water. Take in the steam by holding a towel over your head. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes and you will forget the pain.
- Alternatively, take a glass of water and add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. If you do not like the taste of it, then you can add some honey and lemon juice to make it taste good.
6. PeppermintSource: lieb_reiz via Instagram
Peppermint is great for calming your nerves. Its soothing property makes it a great headache reliever. Whether you drink tea made with peppermint or have a massage with some peppermint oil or simply inhale some peppermint steam, you will find the headache go away. Peppermint is one of the best tips on how to get rid of a headache.
7. GingerSource: jennadrenalina via Instagram
Ginger has many healing properties. It is used in many ways to heal various health conditions. Headaches can also be relieved with the help of ginger. All you need to do is drink some ginger tea 3 times a day.
This helps relieve the headache by reducing inflammation in your body and by relaxing the blood vessels. Ginger also activates natural opiates in the brain which is helpful in reducing the pain.
8. Eucalyptus oil
Eucalyptus also has some great properties when it comes to healing. It can reduce pain and also help fight inflammation. It is often used for relaxing tense muscles. Take some eucalyptus oil and massage your forehead for 15 to 20 minutes. You will start feeling relaxed as the headache goes away. You can mix the oil with coconut or almond oil, as well.
9. CinnamonSource: jovanarikalo via Instagram
If you tend to have a headache when you are exposed to cold air for some time, then cinnamon can come to your rescue. Use the following remedy to reduce a headache caused by cold.
Make a thick paste by grinding cinnamon sticks and mixing it with water. Apply this paste to your forehead and let it stay for 30 minutes. Wash away the paste after half an hour.
10. Betel LeavesSource: chefseng via Instagram
Betel leaves have cooling properties that can effectively reduce headaches quickly. If you have some betel leaves at hand when you are suffering from a headache then make thick paste of 2-3 betel leaves by grinding them.
Use this paste on your forehead and let it stay for 30 minutes. You will find the cooling effect of betel leaves to be a great help as the headache fades away. You can also chew a couple of betel leaves to reduce intense headaches.
Now that you know 10 tips on how to get rid of a headache, popping a pill can take a backseat. Use these remedies to reduce headaches so that you can continue with your life instead of writhing on the bed because of the pain. All of these effective natural headache remedies work quickly to end the pain. But if you suffer from headaches too often, then you must consult a doctor to identify the cause of the pain to end it right from its root.